Thursday, February 11, 2010

Avocados!

Right now avocados are my favorite fruit!



Depending on the size you can get about 4-5 servings out of one. A serving size is about an ounce (2T), 50 calories, 4g fat and they have about 20 vitamins & minerals. They have monounsaturated fat which eaten in moderation can help reduce bad cholesterol levels in your blood and lower your risk of heart disease & strokes.  It also helps you get the fat you need without eating the 'bad fats.'

I love eating them on crackers - Kashi Heart to Heart Whole Grain Crackers - it makes a nice meal!  I put avocado on my taco salad last night.  It's just so yummy.

To cut up wait until they are pretty soft to the touch.  Your finger should leave an impression when you gently squeeze it.  Then cut length wise one side and then the other side and sorta twist it open.  After that you can remove the seed and start scooping the insides out with a spoon.  Yum!  What a treat.  They say put some lime juice on it so it won't turn brown, but whatever....it turns brown pretty much the instant you start cutting.  It still tastes fine.

My grocery store has them for 99 cents.  Sam's has them a little cheaper, but you have to buy 6 (I think) of them.  If I buy too many I'll eat them all, so I limit myself to 1-2 a week.

Weight Watcher points:  7 crackers and 1 serving of avocado = 4pts!

Happy eating healthy today!
Jen.

2 comments:

Tatiana said...

Jen - love your post. I LOVE AVOCADOS!!! I use them instead of mayo with my tunafish :)... Yum, yum, yum! I love your blog... inspiring! ~Tatiana

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... I love Avocado's... It's true, I never bother with the lime either :)